The Hamers Arms was first listed as a public house in 1848 under the landlord Bernard Woolstenholme, it is possible that the pub had been previously known as the Pinners Arms.
It was renamed as the Hamers Arms in recognition of Richard Hamer, who had bought the four Summerseat mills from Sir Robert’s Peel family during the 1830’s when the Peel family withdrew from the Lancashire towns to Nantwich.
From the mid to late 1830’s Richard Hamer had set about improving the village, including new housing and a school. He enlarged Peel Hall and in 1836 he built Summerseat House - the school for delicate children. Then in 1845 he subscribed £500 towards the building of the new chapel, which gave the school room for expansion.
On his death Richard Hamer’s property was divided amongst his daughters, one of whom married John Robinson Kay who lived at Walmersley House in Summerseat, which opened as Robinson Kay Home for Incurable Gentlewomen in 1886, another great shaper of Summerseat but then,that is, another story.
So the name lives on at the Hamers Arms with the Lions Head from the Hamer coat of arms hanging outside the pub.
After a recent refurbishment the Hamers Arms now has full disabled access & facilities, a large enclosed beer garden and serves a full menu.
You can be sure of a traditional Summerseat welcome from the present landlord and landlady Geoff & Sheila with all the comforts of the 21st Century.